GKG Vets Newbury Thatcham and Kinsclere

While we’re still in the EU, your pet’s blue pet passport will still be valid. It allows your pet to travel to and from the EU and between different EU countries.

What could happen after Brexit with pet travel?

There are three potential scenarios for travelling with your pet in the EU after Brexit. When the UK leaves the EU, the EU Pet Travel Scheme will view us as either a ‘Part 1 listed country’, a ‘Part 2 listed country’ or an ‘unlisted country’.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, according to gov.uk, the UK is likely to be treated as an unlisted country.

dog in car

Part 1 listed country – only applies to a few countries, provides a lifetime passport

A few countries and territories are Part 1 listed. In this case, you’d need to have your dog microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before travel, and for them to have tapeworm treatment if necessary. You’d need to apply for a new UK pet passport which your dog would be able to use to travel for the EU throughout their lifetime (provided their rabies vaccinations are up to date). Read more here.

Part 2 listed country – applies to more countries, requires a new animal health certificate for each visit

There are more Part 2 listed countries than Part 1 listed countries, so this is a more likely outcome than the one above. As before, your dog will need to be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before travel, vaccinations must be up to date and tapeworm treatment must be carried out where necessary.

You’ll need to get an animal health certificate from an official vet no more than 10 days before travel to certify that your dog is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. Your dog will also need a new animal health certificate for each trip to the EU.

You must enter the EU country through a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry. These include airports, sea ports and land borders. Read more here.

Unlisted – the scenario if we leave the EU without a deal, requires a 3-4 month rabies vaccination process and animal health certificate

We’re likely to become an unlisted country if we leave the EU without a deal, your current EU pet passport will no longer be valid for travel. You’ll need to have your dog microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. One of our vets will need to take a blood sample within 30 days of the rabies vaccination and send it to an approved EU lab for testing. You’ll then need to wait 3 months from the date of the successful blood sample before travelling.

If you have any queries please contact us on 01635 40565


I thoroughly recommend GKG Vets. We started using them two years ago after moving into the area, and are very lucky to have found this practice and Stuart. Stuart and the team are professional and kind – very reassuring for our 2 rescue dogs and cat.

We’ve been to GKG vets for everything from routine health checks to life threatening emergencies, and they have been wonderful throughout.



Eye Examination

Eye Examination

When your pet has a bad eye, have you ever wondered why your vet performs certain examinations?